Mitosis is a process of cell duplication, in which one cell divides into two genetically identical daughter cells. In the various stages of mitosis, the cell’s chromosomes are copied and then distributed equally between the two new nuclei of the daughter cells.
20. These organelles are present in animal cell but absent in plant cells. They form star-like structures called asters at the poles of the spindles. These are the
a. chromosomes b. spindle fibers c, centrioles d. cell plate
21. A cell has 12 chromosomes. How many chromosomes will each daughter cell have at the end of mitosis? a. 24 b. 3 c. 12 d. 6
22. Sperm cells are produced in the testes of male animals while egg cells are produced by the female animals in their
a. fallopian tube b. uterus c. ovary d. cervix
23. Which stage of mitosis is characterized by the alignment of chromosomes at the equatorial plate?
a. interphase b. prophase c. metaphase d. anaphase
24. How many sperm cells will be produced by four secondary spermatocytes undergoing meiotic division? a.8 b.16 c. 32 d.64
25. Which of the following phases of mitosis precedes cytokinesis?
a. anaphase b. telophase c. second interphase d. a & b
26. In which stage of mitosis do the nucleoli reappear?
a prophase b. metaphase c. anaphase d. telophase
27. What stage in mitosis involves the formation of the mitotic spindle?
a. interphase b. prophase c metaphase d. anaphase
28. In which stage of the cell cycle does DNA replication occur’?
a. GI b. G2 c. S d. interphase
29. Which of the following statements about sexual reproduction differentiates it from asexual reproduction? I. Each parent contributes 1/4 of the genetic material for the offspring.
- Only one parent is involved.
- Offspring are identical replica of parent.
- Variation is introduced in the members of the species.
a. II and HI b. I and IV c. I and III d. II and IV
30. Which of the following statements about spermatogenesis and oogenesis is/are TRUE? I. Spermatogenesis produces four very small spermatozoa/sperms but of similar size.
II. Oogenesis produces 1 big egg cell and 3 small polar bodies that disintegrate.
a. Statement I b. Statement I and II c. Statements II d. neither. I nor H